Trains are geeky cool.
- An active railway line which you can get close to.
- A current train schedule. You can usually find these online.
- If available, shutter-priority mode at 1/500 or faster. This to eliminate motion blur. (maybe faster). Or if you want motion blur shutter_125, or slow if your camera allows it given light levels.
- You can use Google maps satelitte to find a piece of railway which is easily accesible.
- Check the train schedule so that you don't have to wait around for too long.